Friday, November 18, 2011

Parent Teacher Conferences

So we had parent teacher conferences this week.  They way the do them here in their high-school is SO different from when we were growing up.  They have all the teachers set up in the cafeteria and the gym at tables, with a few chairs lined up by each for the waiting area.  PTCs run from 5:30-7:30... you pick up your child's report card, then wander to each teacher they have, and wait your turn to talk.

It was very.... enlightening?  Now, Cody's teacher's are awesome, seriously.  I don't remember our teachers being cool, but a lot of these are.  I walk up to his science teacher and get "Cody Lance? OH! I love him :)"
Course, there was a HUGE range of opinions, but most are just frustrated by his lack of real effort.  His grades are overall pretty good, but they know he's capable of so much more.  His Algebra teacher seemed more concerned about him leaning on or sitting on desks than anything else, oddly enough.  Apparently this was a HUGE issue with her :P  But okay, I can see that.

I guess what I thought was the funniest, was, his English teacher talked about him having a rough transition from middle school to high school (he has a C+ in there, grrrr).  Asked if these were typical grades for Cody? Kinda confused.  Apparently, his problem is the essays, like, turning them in on time.. grrr. 

What kind of disturbed me (and amused me) was while talking to his science teacher, he came up while she was talking about his effort (they did a self-assessment in each class) and she pointed out that his effort on most things, he only rated himself at about 2-3 out of 5.  She says, "and you have an A- with this little effort... if you put more into it, imagine what you could do"  To which he responds, "eh, I'm too much like my dad for that"   Grr... the amusing part was the look the teacher shared with me... I could only imagine that she has one of those ex's too :P  However, I was Not thrilled with the apparently lack of respect for the teacher, or the mindset that he's following in his dad's footsteps by not putting any effort into anything.  So I need to have a talk with Jer, and those are Always so fun.

Oh, and speaking of my #1 P.I.T.A... I get a text earlier this week, "Hypothetically, can you see yourself moving to CA under any circumstances. If you were paid?"  Boils down to, he's gotten an amazing job offer from Google, but he'd have to move to CA.  Now, I get what a tough decision that is.  BUT what about the kids?  I can't see them (either of them) living across the freaking country from me.  And I can't see me going to CA to live, ever, under any circumstances.  And I can't see him being satisfied with only seeing them on holidays or summer break.    Does this mean I'm going to be facing an ugly court battle soon?  Is he just going to pass up this great job? or Will I have both kids full time from now on?
So much food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment